Sunday, November 22, 2009

Beer and Thanksgivng (Belgian Style)






Me at the Hogaarden Brewery with friends and at Thanksgiving with my families.

Thanks to my amazing first three months as an exchange student in Liege, Belgium I have done so many amazing things. I have been to Paris, Disneyland, Athens, and Luxembourg. I have toured a castle, hiked a mountain, gone kayaking, visited the Parthenon, prayed at a monastery, been inside a mine, and navigated through an army fort. I have eaten quail, boar, sheep, snails, squid, and some other things I am not quite sure of. I have also eaten lots of delicious chocolate and been able to taste some of Belgian's finest beers.

My Rotary district recently took all of the exchange students on a tour of one of the most famous brewery's in Belgium, Hoegaarden. This company is most well known for its white beers. They are often flavored with fruits such as raspberry or lemon. At the brewery we got to explore a museum which described in detail exactly how the beer is made. At the end of the tour, we were able to sample some of the world famous beer. Living in Belgium has been a great way for me to try all the different beers; but, if I planned of trying them all I would have to stay here forever. Belgium brews over 8,000 different types in 125 brewries throughout the country. Belgium might be well-known for its beer, chocolate, and waffles, but for good reason.

Thanksgiving tends to be an American tradition involving family, close friends, and great food. Well this year, for one American girl living in a faraway country, things were a bit different. Being an exchange student in Belgium not only means I am learning to speak French and live the European lifestyle, it also means representing America. As an ambassador to the United States, I wanted to show my new Belgian family what Thanksgiving was truly about. I have enjoyed cooking for years and this was my chance to represent myself and one of my favorite American holidays.

As I planned the meal, I quickly realized that I needed to make a few adjustments to my menu. It is impossible to purchase a turkey before Christmas, so my host father prepared pheasant instead. It was surprisingly delightful and paired nicely with the traditional American meal. Along with a few other mishaps, I somehow adjusted the dishes using the available resources and created an edible meal, I hope. I got to spend my Thanksgiving with my current host family, and both my second and third host parents as well. With a total of nine people to please, I was quite nervous; however, I believe the night was a success. It was not your average American holiday, thanks to the normal one course American meal I converted into five courses; but, all in all I think everyone enjoyed themselves. My favorite Thanksgiving recipe is a classic from my mom, and although it needed a few adjustments in Belgium, its pretty tough to mess up. Bon appétit!

Carrot Casserole:

2 lbs carrots
2-3 T sugar
2 T onion, minced
1 cup Old English cheese (2 jars)*
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 milk (or heavy cream)
2 pkgs. Ritz crackers, crushed
1.5 sticks butter, melted

Cook carrots in sugar water until fork tender. Drain and chop carrots.
Add: onion, cheese, milk or cream, and 1 pkg. Ritz crackers

Put all in greased casserole dish. Mix 2nd pkg. of Ritz crackers and melted butter in separate dish. Use as a topping for casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

*Substitute grated cheese if in Europe and cannot find Old English cheese.

3 comments:

  1. Jam, looks and sounded like a good thanksgiving, Pheasant sounds much better than turkey. I am sure the meal was terrific. Love ya Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie! Love the jacket on you AND I noticed the new ring! Your host moms are all beautiful. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chef Jamie - I am so proud of you! It sounds like you served a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner! So nice that you introduced your host families to an American tradition! Your pictures are wonderful! You look so happy - and I am assuming your French is getting better every day.
    Much love, Mommer

    ReplyDelete