Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Athens, France, and of course....Belgium!







First Athens-

Since my Rotary Club is amazing, they decided to take the three foreign exchange students to see the likes of Athens for four days. My host parents were planning on coming, but canceled last minute because they were too sick. I missed them. So on the first day of being in Athens, the three of us exchange students headed off to explore the city. Map in hand, we decided that the right direction leading towards town would be a left. Oh were we mistaken. We proceeded to walk in the opposite direction for forty-five minutes. Upon realizing we were in the middle of Athens (in a not so safe area) we decided to turn around and catch a bus back to our hotel. Well we attempted to pay on the bus, but in Athens you have to buy your ticket before hand. So we just rode the bus until we saw our hotel, and the just got off. So we probably could have ended up in a Grecian jail somewhere, but luckily we managed to escape free of charge.

That is just one example of the many interesting things that happened to us while in Athens. The food was incredible, the sea was gorgeous and of course the Acropolis was amazing. Although I happened to be lost and confused, thanks to the french, english, and greek being spoken all the time, I had a fun time and am so glad I got to hang out with my Canadian and Japanese friends.

Second France-

Taize, France is the most amazing place I think I have been thus far in my short three months of living in Belgium. While I was there I not only got a chance to meet my third host sister and all of her Belgian friends; but, I also got the chance to meet people from all over the world. Tiaze is a place for spiritual gatherings through the Catholic church. I went with a group of people from Liege and while I was there I met people from Spain, Finland, Uruguay, Lithuania, England, Sweden, and KANSAS CITY! The only other american there lives ten minutes from my house. How weird is that? So all in all I had an amazing time there and hope to go back before the year is over. I got to go to mass three times a day and really felt myself connected to God in a way that I never had before. I wish that everyone in the world could have an experience like Taize.

And Last but certainly not least, Belgium-

Last night I got to hang out with my third host sister, Margot (I think that is how it is spelled). We went to a dance put on by the Scouts, they are really popular here in Liege. Well at the dance-type get-together all the Belgians were dancing, but very modestly and with a fist pumping the air. And I was dancing like an American. They all thought it was so funny and different. But I think I may have convinced a few that American dancing is more fun. Then I spent the night at my third house, and it is amazing. It looks like a colonial house from New Orleans. And I am going to have three little sisters! It will be so much fun. Plus I went the entire day speaking only French- which was so cool because they don't speak any english. And my littlest sister was really patient with me and helped me to speak correctly. Today I went to the fair and bought Laquement, which is a Liege specialty. It is a really thin waffle compressed into a machine and drenched in syrup. Can't really beat that!

I still LOVE my host family and I am so glad that they are amazing. On Mondays i watch X Factor with with host sister (its the American Idol of French speaking countries).It is really fun and she is the next best thing to having my real sisters here with me. I am going to cook thanksgiving dinner at my house in one week, and I am very nervous. Not only will I be cooking my first thanksgiving dinner alone, but it in in a strane country and for all three of my host parents. I hope I don't end up killing everyone! Then I would be homeless in Belgium.

2 comments:

  1. My beloved sister! I can't help but be a little jealous that you keep hanging out with your "sisters". I'm just happy they're good replacements for now. Just wait till next fall. It's going to be AMAZING!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a huge photo album of memories! You just keep having better and better experiences! I am so happy that you are appreciating each and every one of them! It is very exciting for me to read that you are speaking French a lot! And I am so glad you are cooking Thanksgiving dinner. It will be amazing - don't be nervous - you are a great cook! Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Love you much -

    ReplyDelete