Saturday, December 5, 2009

Germany and Ely







So sorry it has taken me this long to update my blog. A lot has happened in the past few weeks and I have just been too busy to write it all down. So here goes.....

I went to Germany for the first time this past Wednesday. It was a Rotary activity and we took the train and a bus, but it was close and easy. We got to go shopping at the Marche de Noel, which is an outdoor Christmas festival. We drank hot, spiced wine and enjoyed the fun atmosphere of Christmas in Germany. I went to the city of Aachen. All the kids that went with us wore these goofy santa hats, but luckily it was easy to find each other in the huge crowds of people.

Thursday my friend Ely left for Mexico. She has wanted to leave for awhile, so she was happy. I got to spend a lot of time with her at French school and I know that class will not be as much fun without her. I have really started to hang out with mostly Latinos and Belgians. Its strange, but I just seem to fit in with them....so they are the people I hang out with the most. Ely lives in Mexico City and I know I will visit her at some point in my life. She really is an amazing person and I am sad she is gone.

This past week my host mom, Christine, turned 50 years old. As a surprise for her birthday, my host dad, Philippe, took her to Venice, Italy for two days. Talk about a great birthday present! Tonight we are going out to one of the best restaurants in Liege. It is a little place were you BBQ your food at your own table. I expect it will be good.

This week end is the festival of St. Nicolas. It is a two day feast that takes place on the 6th and 7th of December. St. Nicolas brings children presents and candy. Luckily for me, as a student I get to participate in the more fun activities. Basically students get to hang out in the square all night and into the morning, and the next day throw flour at younger students. I beleive this will be one holiday that I will bring back to the states.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie, I can't wait for next year and you to throw flour on your college friends here in the states!! I am sorry that Ely went home to Mexico City, as I know you are missing her. Sing Christine my birthday song, "This is your birthday song, it isn't very long!" from me! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun, did you go to the cathederal in Aachen? I remember it as being very unique. with a lot of side chapels. Dad

    ReplyDelete