Saturday, October 24, 2009

Being sick in Belgium






Ok. so reality check for me this week. It turns out that just because you are having an amazing time in a foreign country, doesn't mean that you can't get sick. And on top of it all, I just had to get sick on a friday afternoon. My host mom christine continues to try to convince me to go to the dotor....but all i need is some sleep. since belgians get free health care they tend to rush into medicine quite qucikly. so this past weekend has included me, lying in bed and watching movies online (i even broke out the old "sound of music"). its all going to be ok though, because next week i am headed off to athens, greece with my parents and Herstal Rotary Club. I cannot wait!!!! It is going to be nice, and hopefully i will see the sun, which will be an unexpected and incredibly nice change to belgian rain.

This past saturday we went to Namur for a Rotary activity. We went to Parliment of Wallonie and went on a cruise touring the river. It was ok. I had a good time with all the crazy exchange students though. Wednesday we took the train to Brussels for he afternoon. One of the exchange students was leaving early and we had a goodbye party for him. I love the fact that you can just hop on a train somewhere and spend the afternoon, then be back home in time for dinner.

other good news- i am finally starting to speak french and i can actually understand people for the most part now. we had a rotary meeting on thursday and i only spoke in french the entire time. it is really nice to see progress and i have more hope now that i am not a complete failure when it comes to french.

also check out my amazing sisters blog. it makes me want to be a better person. www.kaylainkenya.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Jamie....this is your mother speaking...if Christine wants you to go to the doctor, then go please. You don't want to be sick for Greece do you? Congrats on the excellent progress in speaking french!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, ditto mom. appreciate the fact that you can get high quality medical care for free. there's no reason not to. and you're funny...you make me want to be a better person. I love you and miss you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the doctor. Happy? turns out belgian health care is more efficiant than i assumed, because i went to the doctor, got some meds and got home all within an hour. who says socialized medicine is slow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are better and able to go to Athens! I can't believe I wrote "Athens" like it is someplace down the block! What an amazing time you are having! So excited for you!
    Love and hugs-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jam,

    Just got back on Facebook and now I'm able to check blogs as well. Sounds like you're having a blast. Hope Athens is awesome. Madison spent her first birthday there.
    Love you much!

    ReplyDelete