Wednesday, September 2, 2009

LS Tribune Article II



Life in Belgium: An Insight to Life as an Exchange Student
Jamie Bronder
Article II
When I first heard about the Youth Exchange Program offered through the Rotary International, I only knew a little of what would be in store for me. I knew I would attend school, learn French, and live in Belgium; but, it is the little things I was not aware of which have made my first three weeks in Liège such an unforgettable journey so far. As a Rotary student I was able to visit Brussels, the nation's capital. Brussels is a mixture of different cultures, combining both the Dutch speaking region with the French region. I was able to visit the Grand Palace and Parliament. I toured through the glowing hallways filled with beautifully illuminated chandeliers and elaborate paintings. On the visit to Parliament, I was able to meet the president of the chamber of Parliament, Patrick Dewael. This was a fantastic oppourtunity to see inside the Belgian government and meet a very important man in my new home.
As well as visiting the government, the Rotary students attended a welcome weekend in the small medieval town of Huy, Belgium. Huy is a quaint town sprinkled with hills and wineries, as well as an incredible citadel built in 1818. Attending these conferences can often be dull; however, the unique history which lies within each of these places is worth the seminars. Along with the rolling hills and the rivers which shine throughout the cities, the people I have met are incredible. Over thirty different countries are represented, and each person brings a special aspect these adventures. I can only hope I get the chance to meet people from thirty more countries throughout my life.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are getting to see the Belgian countryside besides the big cities! It sounds lovely! This will be in your heart and soul for your lifetime!
    Love you much, Mommer

    ReplyDelete