Monday, September 14, 2009

One Month.....and the South of France






So far I have been in Belgium for one month. In that time frame I have toured Paris, gone to the capital (Brussels), been on a weekend retreat in Huy, Belgium, been to Disneyland in Paris, and visited the South of France for the weekend. Maybe I should just become a nomad and continue to move to different countries so I am able to get the best of every country. Now that I have started school, a bit of reality has set in for me here. I attend class but unfortunately just sort of sit there and attempt to pay attention, but its difficult considering I do not understand a word that is being spoken. Well, some words.....so most of the subject is lost on me. My school, Saint Jacques is really unorganized compared to my American high school. I thought when I arrived at school I would have a printed off schedule; however, I was thrown with a girl who was suposed to guide me around. She was nice, but ended up leaving mid-day because she just didn't have class that day. So i just sort of walked into random classes the rest of the day and then left. I have been to school for a week and still am not sure where or when I am to go to class. Oh Belgium......I am now attending french lessons. It is so great. Today was my first class and it is Monday and Thursday for three hours each class. I already feel like I have learned a lot and I only went one day! My host father told me that I will be speaking well by Thanksgiving and practically fluent by Christmas. I can only work hard and continue to absob as much as I possibly can in order to be sufficient.

So this weekend my host family took me to the south of France. We drove for six hours, through Luxembourg and arrived to a beautiful sunset overlooking the mountains. It was a Rotary event, so my friend Audrey, from Canada also went with us. She and I enjoyed the car ride and most importantly enjoyed the great food and drink we shared with the Rotarians. Friday night we ate dinner with fifty other Rotarians from both our host club, Herstal and the French club, Priva. Then saturday we woke up early and went on a tour of a little village. We walked through tiny streets, then wound our way to a gorgeous trail. It led to a waterfall, a wide river, mountains, and lush greenery. It was a sight I will not soon forget. After we hiked down the trail through the mountains, we climbed our way back up the mountain, winding our way up steep stone steps. After the amazing hike we ate mussels and fries, accompanied with delcious drinks, including a morroco, which is grendine, club soda, and beer. yummy. Then we toured an old castle, (Chateau) i think that is how it is spelled anyway. Really cool and so historical. Audrey and I took an adventure around the place instead of listening to the french tour guide. So exploring led to a fun experience for us. And you can even get married there! It was beautiful. After lunch we went to see a church and small village which was built in 994. Yes, 994. It was by far the oldest thing I had ever been inside. It was simple and humble, yet beautiful nonetheless. Then we strolled through a typical french village and ate fresh figs from the tree, as well as grapes and blackberries growing off a vine. I drank homemade wine also. For dinner we enjoyed a six course meal which included a duck liver spread with crackers for course one. Course two included creamed cauliflower and steamed pumpkin. Course three was spinach and sausage. Course four was mashed potatoes and pork. Course five was an assortment of cheeses. Course six was fresh figs baked over a lemon tart. All topped off with cafe, and its not coffee- its two shots of espresso. And on the way out there was a plate of fruit if you weren't full from dinner. I ate fresh produce from the area and drank both red and white wine which were specialities of sotuhern france. All in all it was a great weekend filled with delicious food, beautiful sites, and a lot of laughter. The Rotarians in Europe know how to have a good time.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetheart! Your trip to Southern France sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see ALL the pictures. Good luck with your next French class on Thursday. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to everything your mom said! What a wonderful time in Southern France - and I am so glad you are enjoying your French class. You will be much happier in school when you get a handle on the language! Much love, Mommer

    ReplyDelete