Sunday, April 25, 2010

Turkey.Football. Host Families. Taize.






So its been weeks since I've updated my blog thanks to having absolutely no time at all for the computer. I spent ten days on vacation with my school in Turkey. Then I switched host families. Then I went to my first Standard de Liege football match. Then I spent the week in France on a spiritual retreat with some kids from school.

Turkey- Ten days. Two continents. Forty kids. Six hundred photos. Lots of sun. And so much fun. I got the chance to go on the senior trip with a little over half the kids from my grade. We got to spend two days in Istanbul touring all the big mosques, the spice bazaar, and a boat tour of the outskirts of the city. Then we took a bus down to Kusadasi where we got in trouble with the hotel for swimming in the pool too late. oops! We visited the most beautiful historic sites and i got to see one of the worlds most famous natural landmarks, Euphese. (i think that is how its spelled). It was amazing. Hot water constantly flows down into a valley over beautifully white stones. Unfortunately at the end, I pulled a typical Jamie move and slipped and fell in front of at least fifty people. Then I got to enjoy a three hour bus ride back to the hotel soaking wet and bleeding. I will go back to Turkey at some point in my life because honestly its one of the most relaxing and culturally rich countries. The two best qualities a country can have in my opinion.

I also went to my first Standard de Liege football match (soccer). It was so fun. I went with a few Belgian friends and really had a great time. True fans of the sport...even when they lose. I could connect on a deep level with them because I am used to supporting a loosing team too. Thanks Royals and Chiefs.

I also switched host families this past month. My new host family is great. I have three younger sisters and for the first time in my life I am the oldest. It is strange but I like it too. My sisters are 16, 14, and 11 years old, so EXACTLY like my family. I honestly think I am reliving my childhood but with mature eyes now. I can see myself in my littlest sister so clearly. I think everyone should get a chance to experience that. My new house is beautiful. I have a pool and a huge backyard. And for the first time this year I have a dog! I love it!

I also got the chance to return to Taize, France for a week on a school retreat. I had been there once before in November and loved it so much that when I got the opportunity to return I practically jumped on the bus. I hung out with an amazing group of people from my school and also met unforgettable people from around the world. There was a big group of people from France that were there for the week and one girl gave me a great compliment. She said, "Jamie- its strange. You speak french with an American accent, but also a Belgian accent. So cool!" Some french speaking people try to tell me I am fluent in french. I just laugh and say, "I don't think so!" I will never be truly satisfied with my french speaking abilities. I don't think so at all.

I have less than three months left in Belgium and I cannot imagine myself leaving for one second. I close my eyes and literally see myself saying goodbye at the airport, but instead of a joyful, tearful goodbye.....the security is dragging me onto the plane because I refuse to leave. I love the people here. I love the city. I just love my life. I know we should always live in the present and not dwell on the past or focus on the future, but right now I am so happy I can't possibly end this incredible journey.

3 comments:

  1. Jamie, Thanks for updating your blog!! It is amazing. I will miss you tomorrow on Mother's Day. Enjoy every day you have!! I am so proud of you. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. you...are...AMAZING!!! Wish I could have been there with you through all your adventures. We'll have to go to Turkey together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so good to read about your adventures and your new family! You are so funny about the Royals and Chiefs! You look gorgeous! I love the new picture of you - just wish I could see you in person! Enjoy every minute - I love you so much - Mommer

    ReplyDelete