Thursday, April 1, 2010

Wayyy too long







Ok so I realize I am a terrible blogger because I haven't updated this is forever. So here goes a quick run-down of my last couple of weeks:

Every year when there is 100 days left of school all the high school seniors get to dress up. We call this day "100 Jours". A little obvious, but clever nonetheless. So at my school, St. Jacques we all dressed up however we wanted. I decided to show my true American colors and go as a distressed prom queen. Tiara and all. Some other friends dressed up as Little Red Riding Hood, an elf, cheer leaders, The Mask, and even Lady GaGa. One school across the street dressed all the same way and came into town dressed as chickens. Another group of kids came as Smurfs (a Belgian comic by the way). To say the least, the night was interesting. Most of the people who were not dressed up just looked at all of us like we were crazy; but, I know we had a lot more fun dressed up like we were.

The next weekend I was lucky enough to attend my very first Belgian dance. Its called "Le Bal de Rheto" and its essentially a prom. The only difference is that this is the only dance all year and so its a bit different than the typical American dance. Guys wore suits and all the girls had on cute little dresses. The strange thing was that kids were the DJs (and yes, they were good, too), it was only about $7 to get in, and teachers were serving beer. I had never thought of a high school dance where beer could be served, but because its legal here at age 16, it was actually very casual. Its a bit odd considering the only reason teachers go to dances in America is to keep out alcohol, and here the only reason they go is to serve it.

This past Monday and Tuesday I didn't have school for some strange reason (I never get why I don't have school sometimes.....but I never complain). So Sunday night I went over to a friends house to spend the night and got to jump on her trampoline which was so much more fun than it should have been for a nineteen year old. Then Tuesday she invited me to go to the sea with her and some friends. Her aunt has an apartment five minutes away from the seaside. We hopped on the train Monday night and just had a blast. Six girls,one very cold sea, and a night I don't think I will ever forget. We went shopping and ate Pizza Hut which was quite a bit of a nostalgic lunch for me. All in all, it was really a lot of fun.

This past Wednesday I had a huge realization= I only have four months left to stay in Belgium. I actually cried in front of my host sister and host mom. That was a bit terrible. I am never sad here and it was strange to be so upset. Then I realized I was upset because I am so happy. Oh the irony. Dealing with college stuff while on a different continent is no fun and thinking about next year kind of scares me. I am so used to living in the present that thinking about the future just makes me tense up. I guess my ten day vacation to Turkey will help me ease some stress. I leave in three days and will be visiting all over the country with my senior class. I finally get to take the senior trip I never got to go on. But this time I will be with my new Belgian friends.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Jamie - you make up for not writing often when you do write. So wonderful to see your pictures (mostly to see you!) and to hear all about what you are doing! Wow! That school dance sure is different from one in the States!
    So glad you are loving your time there. Remember, you can always go back to visit - Belgium will always be in your heart.
    Much love, Mommer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Mommer says. You WILL go back to Belgium! I didn't realize you were able to go to the sea! Sounds awesome. Pizza Hut on the other hand sounds too normal for you!?!? Have a wonderful stress free time in Turkey. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Jamie!
    I'm Mallory.
    I'm a senior in Kansas City at Sion (the all-girls school?)and am actually going to Belgium through the Rotary Club this July!
    I know I am assigned to the same district that you are, and I'm possibly going to Liege also!
    I just wanted to get in touch to talk about your experience and get any tips! I'm so excited to go! I have been taking French for a few years so it should be interesting to see how it works out. ha! Have fun in Turkey (jealous about that).
    Please get in touch with me at mals816@gmail.com
    I would love to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete