Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Just a quick update



That is a picture of my school. Its pretty tiny and kids from ages 20 to 12 go there. So bizzare. And that is a picture of my friend Pichi. He is from Mexico and we see each other on the walk to school. We also take french courses together. He's awesome. So this past week has been pretty normal for me. Nothing extra ordinary, which is what I should probably get used to since I'm sure I won't be going to France, Disneyland, or kayaking every week. Last friday I went out with some exchange students to the square. That is always a fun time because its filled with young people. Rotary advices us to not hang out with other exchange students, but its so easy to go out with them. They understand what you are going through, they don't have established friendships like everyone else at school, and they are learning french right along with you. When I ususally go out, I meet up with my friend Audrey, from Canada. We take the same bus together and then once we are there, we find other people that we know. I somehow always meet up with some of my Belgian friends which is super awesome. They are fun to be around, help me with my french, and know all the cool places to go. Saturday I helped my host sister Virginie throw a surprise party at our house for her best friend, Justine. It was fun to plan and decorate and spending time with my sister is always nice. Since I don't live with my real sisters at home anymore, its so fun to be able to again live with an older sister. I now feel like I am the youngest daughter of four girls. Its so strange to me that my family here doesn't know my real family. I want so much for them all to meet each other because I know they would have a blast together. My host parents are on holiday in Egypt this week so I've been holding the fort down with my sister and her boyfriend Laurent. He's taking care of us and making sure we are on our best behavior. My real sister Kayla went to Kenya this week. I talked to her for the last time right before she left. I hope we can talk at least a bit this year. At least now we are in the same time zones. Check out her blog at www.kaylainkenya.blogspot.com

I got homesick this week, too. For the first time. I don't know why, because I have truly loved every day spent here. I think it is just the stress of finally starting to understand french but being frustrated with my speaking abilities. I am encouraged by my family, they seem to think that I will be speaking well by thanksgiving (they would know I guess). I really just wish I had a little switch in my brain that said, "Speak French Now" and I could flip it on and off when needed. Oh, I also think I was homesick because my camera broke. I love taking pictures and a small piece of my soul died when i saw my camera smash to the ground. I am getting a new one this week I hope, but everything here is so so so expensive. Good thing I worked all year long.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, I love this entry the most so far. It is YOU and makes me miss you more. I hear your voice in your writing. I can't wait to get together someday with your Christine, Phillipe, Virgine and Laurent someday too! Antoine also. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete